With all of the fashion, music, television and film industry-related events in September 2018, it's easy to see how some may slip through the cracks, or get lost in the clutter. In an effort to keep you up-to-date on the hottest events, Empyrean PR has compiled a list of our top five favorites that happened this September,so you can plan for a star-studded, action-packed September 2019.
Stand Up to Cancer (SU2C)
5. Stand Up to Cancer (SU2C) is a charitable program of the Entertainment Industry Foundation. SU2C’s mission is to raise substantial funds for scientist’s cancer research through online and televised efforts. At the Barker Hangar in Santa Monica, the live telecast was also a milestone, marking 10 years of impact for cancer research and saving lives. It was great to witness the outpouring of support and donations for such a great cause. The live performance by 25-time GRAMMY Award® winner and activist Stevie Wonder honored Aretha Franklin who lost her battle to pancreatic cancer in August with a touching tribute. There was also a poignant performance by 11-time GRAMMY® nominee and cancer survivor Charlie Wilson, which made this an even more memorable event. On September 7th, the SU2C fundraiser achieved great success and has received over $123M in pledges from the U.S. and Canada.
Doris Bergman’s Emmy® Style Lounge Party
4. Doris Bergman’s Emmy® Style Lounge Party on September 13th. This annual event for the Primetime Emmy® Award nominees and winners (past and present) is a party with a purpose. Celebrities attend this event in support of Wednesday’s Child, a program that highlights older children waiting to be adopted in to a loving forever home. This kick-off party to Emmy® week welcomed a roster of celebrities from network and television’s biggest shows. The stars dined on a Mediterranean brunch amid beautiful floral arrangements and décor. The gifting suite featured swag from glamorous fashion designer Sue Wong, luxe brand Planet Beauty, jewelry by designers Diamond Veneer, My Saint My Hero and Twisted Silver along with the official wine sponsor Buy Wines . Fun times were had by all.
Nicole Murphy’s Pre-Emmy Event
3. Nicole Murphy’s Pre-Emmy event- The Empyrean PR team had a very busy afternoon attending the Emmy® Style Lounge Party. Needless to say the team were unstoppable and on to the next event. Jewelry, Makeup and Cocktails- Oh My! How could we resist!
The gracious and beautiful Nicole Murphy’s Pre-Emmy event, sponsored by M.A.C. Pro Cosmetics in West Hollywood’s Design District was the perfect end to an exciting day. Nicole’s unique unisex jewelry line Friendship, Love, Peace are this season’s must-haves in your collection and are great for gifting to loved ones. These chic and meaningful treasures are handmade with precious metals, diamonds, leather, stones, beads, and rocks. Nicole’s intimate party setting had a poetic ambiance through out the room. There was crafting of conversations amongst old and new friends, great tunes playing in the background while guests snacked on treats and sipped on Drake’s new whiskey Virginia Black which complimented the occasion perfectly.
The LA Film Festival
2. The LA Film Festival premiered its 24th season on Thursday September 20th at the Ford Theater in Hollywood. This large scale (30,000-40,000 attendees) film festival runs thru September 28th and has all day screenings at Arclight theaters in Culver City, Santa Monica and Hollywood with added venues such as the WGA Theatre and Wallis Annenberg in Beverly Hills. The festival presented over 200 feature films, music videos and shorts screening on behalf of more than 40 countries. It also placed a substantial emphasis on diversity in its competition film schedules, presenting 42% of films directed by women and 39% helmed by emerging filmmakers of color. A few notable films to check out are Fire on the Hill, Brian Banks, The Oath, Echo in the Canyon, Saint Judy and Wanderlust.
Q85: A Musical Celebration for Quincy Jones
1. Q85: A Musical Celebration for Quincy Jones honored the iconic GRAMMY® Award winning producer on September 25th At the Microsoft Theatre in Los Angeles. This epic event was hosted by Oprah Winfrey and celebrated the music’s icons legacy and featured a spectacular line-up of guest performers and musicians to mark his 85th birthday. Brian McKnight opened the celebration singing Q’s1964 musical arrangement Fly Me to the Moon. Other musical guests and performances featured the amazing Stevie Wonder, Meghan Trainor, John Legend, Patti Austin, Gloria Estefan, Charlie Wilson, Ledisi, LL Cool J, Danny Glover, Dave Chappelle, Gregory Porter, Cynthia Erivo, Gladys Knight and Jennifer Hudson, Fantasia, Usher, NE-YO, Yolanda Adams and many others. The must-see special is set to air on BET later on this year. The Toronto International Film Festival screened “Quincy” to its audiences on September 9th. “Quincy” officially premiered September 21st on Netflix here in the United States. This 124 minute intimate portrait and beautifully documented film chronicles his 70 year career span is a peek in to his life as a father and his key roles as an influential music producer.